Option 1 – Term Paper
For this paper, you will analyze a digital game in the context of its platform, social and business implications. The writing should show clear thinking and a strongly presented argument. The purpose is to inform, explain (how), and describe (why). The paper must address these four concepts:
- discusses one strand (Platform or Genre) of the game industry (such as mobile, PC, arcade, RPG, etc.);
- shows how it is exemplified by a particular game and its design qualities; and
- describes the underlying business model / conditions that led to its success or failure.
- identifies and describes the game’s targeted/potential players.
The length of the paper might average 4-5 pages (single-spaced). Be concise in your writing – include just the information that is important to making your point without wandering away from the topic.
Structure your thinking before you write.
- Introduction – Provide brief background context for your argument and state the thesis. Consider a relevant perspective that can make the topic interesting.
- Body – Provide details supporting the thesis. Consider ways to engage the reader’s interest and emotion. Use imagery and clear description to help the reader understand the events that you describe. Avoid sweeping generalizations – specific examples are more powerful.
- Conclusion – Approximately 50 words, summarizing your argument and key points.
- Works Cited in APA (or MLA) format. At minimum, properly cite the game that you are discussing. If you have made any references to the course textbook or other readings, list those here as well.