Questions Prevention Chapter 17 HE366 AOD Study
- Define prevention, specifically AOD prevention
- Briefly define risk factors and protective factors in terms of AOD abuse and addiction. Give some examples of each.
- Define the three levels of drug prevention programs; primary, secondary and tertiary. Give examples for each level.
- D.A.R.E. is a popular school based prevention program used in about 75% of schools in the USA. What is the positive premise of this program? What is the criticism of this program?
- Of all the theoretical prevention models, 2 emerge as most effective: Social Influence and Person-in-Environment Model. Describe the basic assumptions of each, and describe what sort of prevention strategies they advocate.
- A very successful program in the US is “Drug Courts”, a collaboration between law enforcement and treatment resources. Explain the goals of Drug Court, explain what the person in Drug Court must do to complete this program.