Based on the book by: Morrison’s The Bluest Eye answer these 9 questions:
- Who narrates the story? What voices and points of view are used and how do they affect your understanding of the novel?
- Comment on the Preface. Who is speaking? From where? Identify the main metaphor and summarize what we find out in the preface.
- The Breedloves are described as “ugly” throughout the narrative. Comment on this description and on how it makes Pecola feel.
- Who is Maureen? What is Claudia’s attitude toward her?
- Who is Geraldine? How does the narrator characterize her? Also, what is her reaction to Pecola? Why do you think she reacts in the way she reacts?
- Discuss Cholly’s boyhood. Whom does he identify with? Whom does he resemble?
- Discuss Cholly’s rape of his daughter. How is the scene described? Why does Morrison choose this approach to the writing?
- Why does Pecola come to see Soaphead? How does he react? Discuss the letter he writes to God.
- Whom does Pecola talk to in the next to last section? What does this scene contribute to the novel’s meaning and plot development?