Describe different scenarios under which alleles sort into gametes during meiosis using pipe cleaners.
- Talk through the phases of meiosis using pipe cleaners.
- Explain where and how meiosis results in the shuffling of genes and increased genetic variation, and why this is evolutionarily important.
- When given a genotype, label the genes and alleles on pipe cleaner chromosomes for independent and/or dependent assortment.
- Show how nondisjunction in meiosis could result in offspring with Down Syndrome.
- Draw a Punnett square based on gametes produced for any of these scenarios (independent assortment, dependent assortment, nondisjunction).