Assignment 4: NAEYC Standards
The purpose of this assignment is to describe the characteristics of an early childhood professional using the NAEYC standards of professional development. (CO5)
- This assignment has 3 components.
- You must complete all 3 components to receive full credit.
|Criterion||Percentage of Grade|
|Seventeen Competencies for Becoming a Professional: A Professional Development Checklist||33%|
|Fill-in the blank questions||33%|
- Download the document Seventeen Competencies.
- Save the document to your computer and type your responses directly into the saved document.
- You are to assess your OWN progress towards the competencies. If you document that you have a high competency, you must document why you believe this to be true.
- If you state that you need improvement in an area, you must include an action plan of how/when you will achieve the competency.
- When finished, save the document and then upload as an attachment to the assignment. This will be document 1.
- Document 2 will include:
- Your philosophy of education and a 300 word reflective essayon what you have gained from completing this assignment and how you will use this information as you plan for your professional future.
- The essay will be graded using the rubric below.
- The Philosophy of Education will be graded as pass/fail.
- Copy and paste the philosophy of education below into a word document and then write your reflection essay. Both of these items will be in one document.
- Save this document and upload as an attachment to the assignment.
Philosophy of Education
- “I believe the purposes of education are _________________”
- “I believe that children learn best when they are taught under certain conditions and in certain ways. Some of these are __________________”
- “The curriculum—all of the activities and experiences—of my classroom should include certain “basics” that contribute to children’s social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development. These basics include __________”
- “Children learn best in an environment that promotes learning. Features of a good learning environment are _______________”
- “All children have certain needs that must be met if they are to grow and learn at their best. Some of these basic needs are ____________”
- “I would meet these needs by ____________”
- “A teacher should have certain qualities and behave in certain ways. Qualities I think important for teaching are ________________________”
- The assignment will have a total of 2 files attached.
- Please be sure to upload both files and then hit submit.