Using APA format, write a six (6) to ten (10) page paper (excludes cover and reference page) that addresses the comparison of collaborative care for a patient with a mental health disorder versus a patient with a medical disorder in the acute care setting. The paper consists of three (3) parts and must be submitted by the close of week six. Each part must be a minimum of two (2) pages in length.
A minimum of three (3) current professional references must be provided. Current references include professional publications or valid and current websites dated within five (5) years. Additionally, a textbook that is no more than one (1) edition old may be used.
- Select one (1) mental health disorder and one (1) medical disorder covered within the modules of NUR212 as a basis for your paper
Medical health disorder- Endocrine disorders of The Thyroid gland (specific, not to include parathyroid).
Mental health disorder – Dementia
Compare the two (2) disorders demonstrating similarities and differences.
- Discuss how the efforts and resources required to manage the disorders compare to one another. Is the burden a patient with a mental health disorder endures comparable to the burden experienced by a patient with a medical disorder? Explain your response.
- Identify two (2) issues that may arise for the patient and/or family when caring for the patients with the identified disorders. Provide two (2) descriptive examples.
- Identify ethical and legal implications the RN considers when caring for patients with a mental health disorder and medical disorder.
- Discuss similarities and differences in the RN’s approach to address the identified implications.
Based on the disorders chosen above, adress the following:
- Provide an example of how the interprofessional team members can provide collaborative and continuous care in the acute care setting.
- Discuss the role of the professional nurse within the team and provide three (3) examples.
- Describe how to ensure adherence to medication regimen and follow-up visits – Provide three (3) examples.
- What measures would evaluate the effectiveness of the interprofessional plan of care?
- How does the RN evaluate the interprofessional team efforts and identify modifications that might be necessary?