Poverty and discrimination are linked as one often leads to the other and vice versa. The poor are a target for discrimination due to their circumstances, while discrimination due to ethnicity, race, or gender reduces the number of economic opportunities an individual might get. In this module, you explore the segments of the population that are more likely to be poor. You also examine the reasons for the poverty of these segments and its implications for social policy development.
Research the link between poverty and discrimination using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
- Select two journal articles that address the linkage between poverty and discrimination reflected in the conditions of racial and ethnic minority populations.
- Be sure to select one article that addresses poverty and discrimination in the United States and one in any other country.
- Make sure the articles include examples of social policies that have attempted to address these issues.
Respond to the following:
- How is the linkage between poverty and discrimination reflected in the conditions of racial and ethnic minority populations?
- Identify two examples of social policies that have attempted to address these issues and discuss their effectiveness.
- Support your positions with material from your library research.
Write your initial response in a minimum of 200–300 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.