Reading Response 3 – Due Mar 20
Read Jennifer Posner’s “Dove’s ‘Real Beauty’ Backlash” (194) in our textbook and respond to these two questions:
- Why does Posner believe that Dove’s “Real Beauty” ads “reinforce the stereotypes they claim to be exposing?”
- What is your response/reaction to Lucio Guerrero’s comment about “thighs in a bucket?” (be honest–all responses are valid)
Read “Women, Work, and the Art of Gender Judo” by Joan C. Williams from The Washington Post January 24, 2014 and respond to the following two questions. This news article is not in our textbook: Link (Links to an external site.)
- Explain the term “Gender Judo” as defined by Williams in her essay but restate using your own words.
- Which example did you find the most interesting or problematic in the article?
Finally, read Mariah Burton Nelson’s “I Won, I’m Sorry” (524) in our textbook and respond to the following two questions.
- What is the femininity game and how does the media perpetuate it?
- In your opinion is this concept dated or does it still exist as a problem for women and men? Explain your response with a personal example or observation.