Writing Across the Curriculum Paper – Instructions
“Jewish or Hispanic Cultures”
The objective of the paper is to understand and integrate culturally specific care when working with a patient and family from the Jewish Culture or Hispanic Culture.
Patient Diagnosis to choose from:
- Newly diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus Type II
- Newly diagnosed Hypertension
- Patient undergoing a Total Knee Replacement
- Patient with a Hip Arthroplasty
- Patient with a new diagnosis of Colon Cancer
- Patient undergoing a radical mastectomy for Breast Cancer.
- Patient with COPD.
Writing the Paper:
The paper must include a Title Page, Abstract, Body, and Reference Page. The body of the paper should include an introduction, a discussion, and a summary or conclusion.
- Choose which culture you would like to focus on in this paper. Using a variety of resources, describe the traditional cultural health care beliefs and practices; which include illness beliefs and customs, interpersonal relationships, spiritual/religious beliefs and/or practices.
- Chooses a medical diagnosis and culture to identify health care problems/concerns for this specific diagnosis.
- Identify actual or potential health care problems/concerns (for example physical, psychological, social, financial or developmental) for the client and their cultural/diversity group with regards to this Medical Diagnosis.
- Discuss potential therapeutic interventions for the client and/or family that promote wellness; demonstrate respect for the client’s culture/diversity, rights, beliefs, values, and life experiences; and that incorporate professional values & practice standards.
- Assignment is written in a clear, scholarly style that is grammatically correct and logically organized (no pronoun use).
- Paper must be of an adequate length (minimum of three pages) and format follows 6th edition APA format.
- Running head with appropriate page numbering throughout.
- Abstract presented with logical overview of the paper with a word count of 150-200.
- Title of the paper centered on one double space below header on the first line of the body of the paper.
- Minimum of three references less than five years old with appropriate in text citations and reference page.
- Conclusion should include a reflection of how this assignment has broadened your perception and cultural awareness.
See Course Calendar for due date.