Week 3 Discussion: This week’s lessons cover the Lymphatic System and Immune Function. Television, Newspapers, Magazines, and Internet Media are loaded with advertisements for “immune boosting” products. Use your developing skills to assess these products and their claims. Use the key points below to guide your exploration of these products.
1. Products like Emergen-C and Airborne claim to shorten or even prevent illness. Use your text and supplemental resources to assess whether these products will / will not work as claimed.
2. Use what you’ve learned this week to describe 2-3 proven steps people can take to avoid or shorten illness. Be creative and attempt to avoid duplicating your classmates posts.
3. Many ads claim to “boost immunity” through special pills or powders. Explain whether these statements are accurate or inaccurate. Did your studies lead you to any proven ways to boost immunity? If so, describe.
Week 3 Discussion: This week we took a tour of the Lymphatic system and learned more about Immunity. Our discussion will help us apply these lessons to children who are raised in non-traditional settings.
1. Some parents elect to raise their children in isolation. Others decline to immunize their children or treat common ailments with conventional medication. Consider how these non-standard practices can create complications in children. Describe the long-term risks faced by these children.
2. By comparison, some parents demand medication for every cough and sniffle – leading to over-medicated children and the rise of super-bugs (medication-resistant infectious agents). Using this week’s lessons to determine which practice carries greater long-term risk. Explain and support your decision.