Choose a SupremeCourt case on a topic of interest. The case must be significant enough for you to analyze thoroughly, but does not have to be a highly publicized case. There must be at least 1 dissent opinion included in the decision, more than just stating they dissent.
- Stumpv. Sparkman
- The text of the paper must be a minimum of twelve pages (Maximum of fourteen).
- You must use at least one case. Cases must be cited in proper legal format.
- You must support your findings with at least 5 sources (text can be included as 1). Citations must be submitted in APA format.
- Plagiarism shall result in disciplinary action.
Breakdown of Paper
- Who are the Justices on the court and what are the political implications?
- Pick one of the Justices an briefly describe their legal background – how did they become a Justice?
- Analyze how the case got to the Supreme Court
- Is the topic of the case originally Civil or Criminal in nature? Detail the key differences in how the case is handled given the type.
- Analyze the judicial decisions – who followed which perspective and how can you tell?
- Describe any policy making aspects evident within the case.