The Final Research Paper should demonstrate understanding of the reading assignments, class discussions, your own research, as well as the implications of new knowledge.
You will analyze the ethical implications and homeland security implications on one of the following five topics:
- Racial profiling in the war on terrorism.
- Water-boarding and other coercive tactics of interrogation on detained terrorist suspects.
- The PATRIOT Act in regards to its authorization of surveillance and search and seizure.
- The invasion of Iraq in regards to the use of preventive/pre-emptive war.
- The use of military tribunals in adjudicating the guilt or innocence of known or suspected terrorists.
At minimum, the paper should accomplish the following:
- Analyze the ethical implications on the chosen topic.
- Analyze the ethical implications from the official Government perspective of Homeland Security.
- Analyze the topic, drawing on the stated ethical and homeland security implications, justifying/not justifying its use through the Just War Theory (this should be as objective as possible—it is not an opinion piece).
- Present final conclusions based on the analysis of the chosen topic from various perspectives and the tenant of Just War Theory.