- Which one of these was NOT a famous heroic female?
|Joan of Arc (France)|
- The Maya and the early tribes of Africa were matrilineal, a term meaning?
|Societies where females were in charge|
|Nations without marriage laws|
|Families that traced descent through the mother’s side|
|Cultures with art that featured facial structures|
- The precursor societies to the Maya and the Inca were?
|Olmecs and Chavin|
|Toltecs and Amazonians|
|Aztec and Toltecs|
|They had no precursors|
- Timbuktu was…?
|A center of learning and knowledge in Africa|
|A center of trade and Islamic culture|
|Capitol of the Malian Empire|
|All of these|
- The Inca used a complex writing system based on…?
|Intricately knotted ropes|
- The Olmec civilization fell due to…?
|Assimilation into the Maya|
- The growth of sub-Saharan African empires was made possible by…?
|The camel to facilitate long-distance trade|
|Left over Roman roads|
|Rivers that went through the desert bringing goods|
|Ships moving down the Atlantic coast|
- The native religions of civilizations in both America and Africa were…?
|Alike in that they all featured human sacrifice|
|More philosophical traditions than religions|
|Believed in a single all-powerful god|
|Polytheistic – many gods over natural forces|
- Calendars and history was viewed by early Americans as…?
|A wheel without fixed beginning where events happened at multiple or different points|
|A line with a fixed beginning and a definite end of the world|
|A cycle of endless renewal of both time and people|
|Important only for the farming of corn and religious rituals|
- What was a major characteristic of surviving Olmec art?
|It was the first abstract art|
|A focus on the human face|
|It glorified corn|
|It was the first to not depict the gods|
- What was a major difference between African societies and those of the west, the east, and the Americas?
|A – Society was much more strict in Africa than elsewhere|
|B – Women held relatively more power in African societies than in others|
|C – There was not such a wide gulf between the rulers and the ruled|
|Both B and C|
- What was “Great Zimbabwe”?
|A large confederation of nations fighting off the rule of outsiders|
|A stone-based culture of Bantu speakers that moved through southern and central Africa|
|A primitive society of hunter/gatherers not aligned with other groups|
|A form of artistic expression unique to Africa|
- How did the Greeks influence east African societies?
|By bringing trade, language, and eventually Christianity to areas under Axumite control|
|By introducing philosophy to primitive African tribes|
|By creating city-state systems that persisted in Africa until modern times|
|By making the Greek the main language of modern day east Africa|
- How were the Spanish able to conquer the Americas so quickly?
|There was no time for American cultures to adapt to disease, technology, and government in the face of more advanced Europeans|
|The foolishness of American political and military leaders|
|The American civilizations lacked a truly military culture|
|The American civilizations were all already in decline|
- What about the Mayan civilization helped it to fall to the Europeans?
|They were essentially pacifists who refused to fight off invasions|
|The society was weakened by human sacrifice|
|Environmental problems reduced populations and power prior to Spanish arrival|
|The Aztecs had already conquered large swaths of Mayan territory|