What is Maple Leaf Foods patent strategy? Your client is also interested in your thoughts on the patent activity of its two major competitors. Is a patent race underway? Who is winning? Please reference online information sources appropriately using endnotes. Please end the analysis with a discussion regarding implications. In other words, after gathering the data, so what? What does it mean?
· Deepak Sumaya and David Teece (2012) Business Model and Patent Strategies in Multi Invention Contexts Ivey Business Journal http://iveybusinessjournal.com/topics/innovation/business-models-and-patent-strategies-in-multi-invention-contexts#.VAeummOwWSo
Comment on Patents:
Just as the Library of Congress has its own classification scheme for organizing library holding so too are patents classified in an organized manner. Increasingly the world’s national patent systems are harmonizing how they manage and organize patents. Two classification systems gaining dominance are the International Patent Classification, IPC and the
· A guide to the IPC Patent Classification may be access using this link.http://web.archive.org/web/20071014011734/http://www.wipo.int/classifications/ipc/en/other/guide/guide_ipc8.pdf
· A link to the actual IPC classification is as follows.http://www.wipo.int/classifications/ipc/en/ITsupport/Version20150101/transformations/viewer/index.htm
· A guide to the CPC classification can be accessed using this link.http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/classification/cpc.html
Increasingly patent experts are using Google patent search to access information on patents in many countries. Here is a link to this search tool. https://www.google.com/patents/
· A brief text tutorial focused on patent searching may be access using the following link. http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/07/11/patent-searching-101-a-patent-search-tutorial 2/id=59308/ (Tutorial)
· A second important means for accessing information about international patents is the search tool of the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO). http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/
· Short video tutorials for using the WIPO patent search tool may be accessed using this link. https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/tutorial.jsf (Tutorial)
· Finally, another interesting way to access patents if you know who the inventor is,http://patentgenius.com. You can search by inventor, assignee/owner and category.