This is a brief writing assignment based on the readings below:
– Locke, Second Treatise of Government (http://www.constitution.org/jl/2ndtreat.htm)
– Jefferson, the Declaration of Independence,
– Tocqueville, Democracy in America (selections)
– Madison, Federalist Papers 10 & 51
- 1. http://www.constitution.org/jl/2ndtreat.htm
Read Locke, Ch. XVIII. Of Tyranny (sections 202-209). What is tyranny? Briefly explain if and when the people have a right to oppose it.
- 2. http://www.constitution.org/jl/2ndtreat.htm
Read Locke, Ch. XIX. Of the Dissolution of Government (sections 219-225). When does Locke say the people have a right to dissolve the government and start a new one?
- 3. What do you think was the purpose of the Declaration of Independence? To whom do you think it was addressed? Who does it represent and include?
- 4. Why is there a detailed list of “Facts” about a certain king–what purpose does this serve?
- 5. Is God mentioned? If so, in what ways and for what reason(s)?