Shi, L. (2014). Introduction to Health Policy. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press. Washington, D.C.: Health Admin. Press.
Please write up 150 to 200 word count for Questions 1 – 9; Question 10 is a PowerPoint, and Question 11 requires a Flowchart. Try and relate the material to real-life applications and also to the textbook- Introduction to health policy. Check work for plagiarism!
- What major events in health care access and delivery since 1950 have significantly changed and enhanced health care policy in the United States?
- What role does federal, state and local governments each play in influencing health care policy.
- How do we know which law we are to follow if there is a difference between a state and federal law?
- Discuss determinants of a health problem. Identify policy intervention to the health problem. Do you think the policy intervention is the most significant concept?
- Watchthe video: Health Insurance Changes Coming Your Way Under the Affordable Care Act. http://kff.org/health-reform/video/youtoons-obamacare-video/
- Did this website give you any new ‘perspectives’ on health care? What were they? http://kff.org/perspectives/
- Do you see health care spending decreasing or increasing in the future? Why?
- I don’t think that health will never go down, since the cost of malpractice insurance is so expensive that a doctor has to have a certain income to cover that expense must their cost of living. The truth is that if the cost of health care won’t go down since its one of the biggest business in this country, in fact the cost does go down then what will happen to the economy; i have yet seen something like that in which the health care going down after years of being so expensive that would be the first. The fact that the over head expensive of health care won’t allow the cost to go down….that would be in a perfect world and that’s not the world we live in.
Given this scenario, do you think there is a point at which the cost of health care will not be able to increase? How will we know when we’ve hit that point?
- How does telemedicine lower the overall cost of health care? What are your thoughts?
- Create a 3-slide presentation on the topic (Grandfathered plans). This presentation will require a deeper examination of this one topic as it is an emerging issue/trend in today’s industry.
As part of this presentation, you are required to:
- Describe areas of opportunity involved with this topic.
- Write a summary/ Conclusion (deeper examination of Grandfathered plan as it is an emerging issue/trend in today’s industry)
Must include detailed speaker notes.
Cite and references all work
- Legislators are busy individuals and do not have extra time to sort through pages and pages of documents. Nevertheless, you feel it is important to meet with your legislator to obtain his or her support on your policy so it can be presented for approval. They have little time and need a brief, concise overview of what the policy entails and why they should support its passage.
Resource: Instituting a policy requiring all hospitals to have a quality assurance department.
Guide/ Note**Quality assurance healthcare can go a long way in ensuring quality healthcare and hence this explains its importance in ascertaining health. It can also help to improve life expectancy by ensuring quality healthcare.
It is worth noting that besides the advantages associated with quality assurance departments in health organizations the departments also has their own downsides the main one being that it can result to increased cost of health care. Hence, it is a matter of weighing between the benefits and the downsides of having a quality assurance department in health organizations and hence this forms a basis on which a policy can be formulated. The policy should be based on critical analysis of the benefits and downsides of having a quality assurance department in health care organizations. For instance, if the benefits outweigh the downsides of having quality assurance department in health organization a policy can be formulated making it a legal requirement for each registered health care organization to have a quality assurance department.
Create an informational tool that you will hand to a legislator about the pros of your selected policy to convey a recommended course of legislative action to change public policy that contributes to the greater good of health care.
Some example of such tools might include:
Be sure to keep the following in mind:
- You are convincing them of the validity and necessity of your policy proposal.
- When you are providing your legislator with your information tool, be aware of the impact that special interest groups and other politics will have on the legislator’s decision. These factors will certainly impact the way that your proposal is received by the legislator.
- Consider the relationship of government to the creation of policy and describe how your legislator’s support will assist the creation of the policy for which you are lobbying in your resource.
Use appropriate references so your legislator may understand why he or she should support the potential policy.
Cite any sources consistent with APA guidelines.