WEATHERING and SOILS (Chapter 5)
- What are the two main categories of weathering? In what ways are they different?
- Mechanical or physical weathering: explain how water, salt crystal growth and biological activity can cause mechanical weathering. Give examples of each.
- Chemical weathering: dissolution (limestones by acid rain), hydrolysis and oxidation: Be able to explain each process and give an example.
- How does climate affect weathering?
- What is soil? Why is soil an interface in the Earth System?
- List and explain the five basic controls of soil formation.
- Examples of soil erosion: The Dust Ball