SEDIMENTARY ROCKS (Chapter 6)
- What is a sedimentary rock?
- Describe the ways in which loose sediment converts into hard sedimentary rock (lithification)
- Contrast the basic groups of sedimentary rocks: Detrital (or clastic) and Chemical/biogenic
- What are sedimentary structures? Why are these structures useful to geologist?
- Mud cracks, cross bed, dunes and ripples, what are they and what do they reveal about past environments. (Also check in class handout)
- Explain why sedimentary rocks are important in the study of Earth history and their economic importance: which energy resources are associated with sedimentary rocks? What resources are in Michigan?