You will then write a minimum of a 3-page paper on THREE art works from the museum you visit.
1) Your paper must include proper identification of each of the three art works; a discussion of:
– the style/movement each work fits into and explanation
– a discussion of 2-3 formal elements related to each work you discuss
2) Your paper must also include an introduction and a conclusion, a heading and proper grammar/spelling/sentence structure. Please use the “Art 100 Museum Paper Grading Rubric” (attached above) as a checklist as you write your paper to ensure that ALL required information is included in each section of your paper.
3) Check out the main menu buttons labeled “Reference Links” and “Weblinks” for help with writing your paper
Save your file and submit ….
Paper must be typed, double spaced size 12!!, at least 4 pages in length, include a heading with name, date submitted and the course name and number
Titles of art works must be italicized or underlined (not in quotation marks!).
Sources must be cited properly, if used.
How to write !!
- Introduction: 15 points
- Include name of museum and date of visit.
- Identify a commonality or theme between the works (this could be a similar medium, subject matter, art period/movement, color or other formal element, etc.).
- THREE WORKS:
- Identify artist, title (in italics!), date of work and medium.
- Describe the content and/or subject matter (describe what you see when you look at the work).
( For example: ” Agnolo Bronzino’s Eleanor of Toledo from 1544 is an oil on wood portrait of a mother seated with her young son standing on her right side. The mother is wearing an elaborate dress with black and gold details. The child has blond hair and is wearing a dark blue jacket and is smiling slightly.)
- Identify a style or movement the work is associated with; use your Preble’s textbook to place the work in its style category. Explain how it fits into this particular art movement.
( For example: ” Eleanor of Toledo was completed during the beginning of the Mannerist art movement, which took place in Italy beginning in the 1520s. This painting is characteristically Mannerist because the figures in the painting have exaggerated and elongated proportions-especially fingers-and are painted with rich colors used to imply texture.”)
- Identify 2-3 formal elements (define each formal element using your textbook; identify each formal element in the art work).
( For example: “The dress depicted in Bronzino’s Eleanor of Toledo demonstrates the artist’s use of texture. Texture is the perceived surface quality of an object. In the painting the fabric of the mother’s dress appears to be silk with velvet details and shiny pearl and gold beads…”)
- Give your personal reaction to the three works you chose (what you liked/did not like).
- Describe how this assignment expanded your appreciation of art.