1. Choose a company and identify two different HR practices within that company. The HR practices are to be chosen from the weekly session titles on this module, for example Performance Management, Culture, Equality and Diversity etc.
The company and topics must be approved by the seminar tutor, who has the final say over which companies to use. It may be possible to combine different aspects but check with your tutor. Tesco, John Lewis and Ocado are barred as companies that you can choose.
For each topic you are expected to incorporate at least one appropriate theory/model or recognized practice. For example with Reward you could incorporate Total Reward; Culture you could include Schein or Deal and Kennedy; Performance Management you could include 360 degree feedback
2. Write a report of 1,400 words (excluding cover sheet, contents page, references and appendices). Your focus is to be on the HR practices and issues rather than the history of the company, so focus your work on HR. Any necessary additional information can be included in an appendix.
In your Conclusion you are to include at least one recommendation as to how might the company / industry etc improve the situation in the future?
Structure of the report (you will lose marks if this is not followed):
• Cover sheet with title, name, date, word count;
• Contents page;
• Introduction (maximum one page);
• Main sections with appropriate headings and subheadings;
• Conclusion including recommendation;
• List of references;
• Appendices (optional but can be very useful)
Please note: You must use Harvard referencing effectively throughout your work.